The Gifts Of The Spirit
“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.”
— John 16:7 (KJV)
“And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”
— Luke 24:49 (KJV)
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit."
-Joel 2: 28-29(KJV)
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
-1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (KJV)
When we receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, we also receive at least one spiritual gift from God to establish the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. This is why when some receive the baptism of the Spirit, they begin to prophesy or see visions immediately. If you are genuinely baptized in the Holy Spirit, then you must have at least one spiritual gift. It's a must, or you need to check yourself again.
Speaking in tongues is a sign of the Holy Spirit but not a gift of the Spirit.
One way to not miss this impartation by the Spirit of God is to present yourself holy and pure before God in the body, soul and spirit before you pray. You must be free from blemishes and spots or sin physically, spiritually and otherwise on the day you are present to receive the baptism of the Spirit. If you are not holy at that moment, He has no business with you or coming to you.
All the gifts are in the Spirit and they are shared according to your purpose, calling and so on, when the Holy Spirit comes inside of you.
The Holy Spirit that you are given is the same Holy Spirit that Jesus had while he was here. He received the Holy Spirit just like you received it (Acts 10:38, Matthew 3:16). The same spiritual gifts that you are receiving are the same gifts that Jesus had when he was here. When you are baptized with the Spirit of God you are empowered to do things Jesus did.
Possessing these spiritual gifts means God is walking and working amongst us, speaking to us, using us, and changing our lives.
1. Word Of Wisdom: This gift is similar or related to the gift of wisdom that people like Solomon was given in ancient times. But now, this gift comes with grace and can change the life, restore, rehabilitate or heal whoever is listening to the words of wisdom.
2. Word of Knowledge: With this gift you would know what God is saying and doing among the people. This gift may be reserved for prophets, but whoever has this gift must learn to speak up. Tell people what God is saying or doing or you may be cursed. For example, a pastor is preaching and suddenly receives a revelation and says the following: "there is a woman here who is looking for the fruit of the womb, God has heard your prayer and nine months from now, you will be delivered of a child." That is the word of knowledge and should not be confused with prophecy. This is what people like Pastor Adeboye are known for.
3. Faith: This is the gift that was given to the Apostles. It is with this gift that you would be able to move mountains for God and also endure so much for God. With this gift, where people are seeing wilderness, you would be seeing a prosperous city, when people are saying no money, you will be seeing millions, where others are seeing or saying death and suffering (for Christ), you will be seeing (eternal) life and enjoyment. Where people are saying there is no way, you will be seeing roads. Impossible will be totally erased from your dictionary and memory. You will serve God without an iota of fear. This gift also works well with the gift of healing and miracles.
4. Healing: If God gives you this gift, it will enable you to heal all manners of sicknesses and diseases with just the spoken word, prayer, laying of hands and through other means. There will be no sickness or diseases that you cannot heal. It works perfectly with the gift of faith.
5. Working of Miracles: This one is normally confused with the gift of healing. The dictionary reveals that healing is different from a miracle. If a man is healed of cancer, that's HEALING, but if someone who has lost a limb suddenly regrows a fresh one through prayer or ministration, that's a miracle. Some lady had her entire womb removed from complications due to several abortions she had done and didn't want to marry again after that because she felt there was no need as she can never have a child and chose to be born again and serve God thereafter.
But a pastor approached her for marriage and she vehemently and persistently declined his proposal. On the pastor's insistence she told him what she had done and what happened to her. The pastor went back to pray and came to tell her that they have to marry. Today they have 5 children. That's a miracle.
The gift of working of Miracles helps us to do or achieve the unbelievable and impossible. For a woman who have reached menopause to have a child is a miracle. The gift of working of Miracles enables you to do what only God can do in other peoples' lives. I remembered the video of a well-known pastor who prayed for a guy having dwarfism and he grew taller on live video. That is miracles, not healing. Raising the dead is also working of Miracles.
6. Prophecy: With this gift, you will be able to foretell the future and also knows what happens in the past. You will be able to know what God is about to do or what God is going to do. You will be able to know what is about to happen and the consequences of some steps or actions. You will also be able to know the minds and the intentions of people. This is why the bible says covet to prophesy. You will be able to see events before they happen. People with this gift also see a lot of visions and dream a lot of revelatory dreams.
7. Discerning Of Spirits: This means you can identify, detect and isolate spirits. You will also know the names of such spirits. This is normally given to prophets and those in deliverance ministries or those called to wage war against the forces of darkness. You will be able to know if a demon is behind a problem or situation, or it's just an incidence or coincidence. You should be able to know who has or practices witchcraft, who has a familiar spirit, who is suffering from the spirit of failure, or whom the enemy has planted the spirit of death inside them. You would be able to see whose glory is caged and what is been used to cage it. It is this gift that normally opens the spiritual eyes of people and enables them to see what is happening in the spirit.
8. Diverse tongues: People who received this gift may need a interpreter of tongues. But most of us usually have a particular style of speaking in tongues but those who received this gift can speak in diverse ways and tongues. So many things are revealed in the process and Jesus may chose to address the church in this manner. To you, speaking in tongues is an act of, or confirmation of the Holy Spirit in you, but to them, it is a gift. They are speaking mysterious languages which may include the language of angels and other spirit beings. Sometimes the real voice of God can be heard through them. They speak so many mysterious things when the gift is active and whoever is interpreting should be careful. It is not everything that the people must hear. Some revelations are meant for some specific people and authority.
9. Interpretation Of Tongues: Like you know, the gift enables you to interpret tongues. You will also know when someone is actually praying in the spirit or just speaking gibberish or faking it. I remember I was praying with a friend to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit when God chose to dash me this gift. With this gift, you will be able to know what each line of tongues means and the yearnings of the spirit of that person. Not the yearnings of the particular person but the yearnings or groanings of their spirit. They are different.
How to receive these gifts.
Like I said, you receive some of them instantly when you receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Although you can get the gifts independently but it is not advised as they depend on the Holy Spirit to perform optimally. Without the Holy Spirit, they will grow weaker and fade away. People do receive the Holy Spirit and then lose it. All you have to do is to repent, forsake your evil ways and turn back to God with all your heart, and ask God for the Holy Spirit again. If you have the Holy Spirit and these gifts aren't manifesting, you can ask God for them. But don't ask for selfish reasons, ask because you want God to use you to touch and save lives.
Apart from these gifts, there is also POWER that you receive when you receive the Holy Spirit. This enables you decree a thing and it will be established, cast out demons and command things. You will have to be led by the Holy Spirit every minute and everyday of your life to continue to enjoy this power or chose to keep God's laws and obey him. If this power is missing in your life, you can ask God for it. A woman praying or asking for this power and/or the Holy Spirit should have her head/hair wholly and fully covered during the prayer. This is no joke.
Having these gifts will help you in virtually all areas of your life. You will be able to help yourself because the Spirit is with you to guide you and instruct you. Others will also benefit from it. These gifts will guide you in prayers and also helps in your relationship with people. You would know who is a cat or a dog, who is impatient or secretly jealous of you and who wants to harm you. You will be able to pray according to the will of God and pray the right way.
May the Lord answer when you call on him. Amen.